Re: address decoder

Ed Casas (edc@ece.ubc.ca) Tue, 28 Mar 2000 07:20:17 -0800

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 07:20:17 -0800
From: Ed Casas <edc@ece.ubc.ca>
Subject: Re: address decoder

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 11:25:33AM +0000, Carmen Lee wrote: > How are we going to write the VHDL code for OE??? > > Does that depend on the address bus??? It wouldn't hurt if you designed the circuit so that the different OE* signals are only asserted when the corresponding CS* signal is active. But, as explained in the the lecture notes, the tri-state outputs will not be enabled unless CS* is also asserted. So OE* can be the same signal for all of the chips. > If that is the case, would OE be asserted if one of the IC > required address bus is asserted? For example, what if each IC > requires N=16 address bus? I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Each IC does require 16 bits of address (there are 64k locations per chip) but the control of OE* is unrelated to the number of address bits required by the chip. -- Ed Casas edc@ece.ubc.ca http://casas.ece.ubc.ca +1 604 822-2592