Re: FPGAs

Craig Amendt (csamendt@interchange.ubc.ca) Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:54:35 -0700

From: "Craig Amendt" <csamendt@interchange.ubc.ca>
Subject: Re: FPGAs
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:54:35 -0700

The number of "gates" used is just in one of the menus in MAX-Plus. The TA showed me one time but I forget which menu it is off hand. The FPGA has blocks that are composed of a few logic operators (I can't remember too well but I think a couple of OR's and an and or something). These blocks make up "rows" in the FPGA and the these compose the chip. In lab 4 (the serial thing) our hardware was only using 5% or so of the chip if my memory serves me correctly. This is all a little sketchy, sorry, hopefully someone who knows more will help you out. Craig Amendt