Re: Assignment #5: what does the clock have to do with it?

Ed Casas (edc@ece.ubc.ca) Wed, 29 Mar 2000 20:44:32 -0800

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 20:44:32 -0800
From: Ed Casas <edc@ece.ubc.ca>
Subject: Re: Assignment #5:  what does the clock have to do with it?

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 06:14:48PM -0800, Andrew Ching Hong Yung wrote: > I know this is a little late, but here goes: > > Do we even need to consider the clock (tCK = 33 ns)? None of the timing > diagrams seem to explicitly include it, and we know we can already assume > that there are no wait states or address holds or bus idle cycles > (W=DT=HI=0). I included the clock period to explain why DT=0, you won't need to use the clock period explicitly. > I'm actually a little bit confused about why we need to include > tCK into any timing diagram (like the example on page 7 in the > timing analysis notes). CPU specifications are often given as a function of the clock period. In this assignment that's not the case since W=DT=0. -- Ed Casas edc@ece.ubc.ca http://casas.ece.ubc.ca +1 604 822-2592