Re: Marking of assignment 2

Ed Casas (edc@ece.ubc.ca) Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:30:51 -0800

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:30:51 -0800
From: Ed Casas <edc@ece.ubc.ca>
Subject: Re: Marking of assignment 2

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 06:48:13PM -0800, Jonathan Lashin wrote: > I realize that commenting your code is very important, > but isn't it going a little overboard when the > comments alone are worth 52% of the assignment, while > the correct operation is worth only 17%? > > Perhaps the title of the assignment was too > misleading, and should have been called "Commenting in > Assembly" instead of "8086 Programming". > > The reason I am upset about this is because I spent > the whole day programming and testing to get the > program to work properly, but I also commented every > single line of code, which only took a few minutes. > > Can we be informed of the marking scheme ahead of > time, so that we don't invest huge amounts of time, > only to lose a lot of marks on something that could > have very easily be done in a few seconds, had we > known exactly what we you were looking for? There are a number of considerations involved in the selection of the marking scheme. Some are practical limitations, some have a pedagogical basis and some are based on what I believe are the important or difficult parts of a particular assignment. First, the marking criteria have to be objective and easy for the TA to evaluate. The TA only has a few minutes to spend on each paper, has limited knowledge of what's gone on in class and is not a subject expert. In this particular case I thought the best way for the TA to judge the quality of the work was by looking at the comments. The output of this program is so easy to forge that I didn't think it reasonable to assign it a very high weight. Second, I don't think it's a good idea to give out the marking scheme ahead of time because I suspect it would bias your efforts. However, you can probably get a rough idea of how future assignments, midterms and finals will be marked by looking at previous years' marking schemes (available on the web). Finally, the readability of a program is extremely important and documenting it well requires a great deal of effort (hopefully more than a ``few minutes''). I think you'd find that the quality of the comments is well correlated with the quality of the code. I hope that clarifies things. -- Ed Casas edc@ece.ubc.ca http://casas.ece.ubc.ca +1 604 822-2592