Re: Reserving Memory

Eric Wei (ewei@physics.ubc.ca) Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:06:42 -0800

From: "Eric Wei" <ewei@physics.ubc.ca>
Subject: Re: Reserving Memory
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:06:42 -0800

The notes did mention it in the last example. this is what I did to reserve memory and use it. Somewhere in your code you put the line buffer db 10 dup (?) ;this creates 10 bytes of memory space in your memory (uninitialized) so you can use a register (eg bx) to be the pointer that points to the buffer by issuing the command: mov bx, offset buffer bx will then contain the starting address of buffer. From here on, you just have to increment the value in bx to point to the next byte in the buffer. Hope that helped. Eric ----- Original Message ----- From: "ddowler" <ddowler@direct.ca> To: <eece379@casas2.ece.ubc.ca> Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 1:49 PM Subject: Reserving Memory > I have absolutely no idea how to reserve and use memory. I have read > through the course notes and looked at the example in the second bunch > of notes, and they do not make it clear. Can someone please explain? > Dr. Casas: is it ok to use the stack to store the vowels? Help!! >