RE: final exam (dec 7, 98)

Kevin Oldknow (koldknow@netcom.ca) Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:14:12 -0400

From: Kevin Oldknow <koldknow@netcom.ca>
Subject: RE: final exam (dec 7, 98)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:14:12 -0400

Hi there, I calculated it as follows: 8 data bits, no parity and minimum transmission time suggests 10 bits per character as follows: 1 start bit, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit. (RS-232 standard from lecture notes & lab 4) Therefore, 960 characters x 10 bits/character = 9600 bits. As I understand it, bps does mean bits per second. i.e. the transmission would take a total of 1 second. If this is incorrect, can somebody let me know? Kevin Oldknow -----Original Message----- From: Alfred Lui [SMTP:tlui@ece.ubc.ca] Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 1999 10:10 PM To: elec379@casas.ece.ubc.ca Subject: final exam (dec 7, 98) Hello! I'm looking at the last question, part e. I don't know how to find the time to transmit 960 characters. Is a character consist of 2 words? and bps means bit per second? Please help me out. Thanks