Re: Lab 3

Ed Casas (edc@ece.ubc.ca) Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:24:04 -0800

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:24:04 -0800
From: Ed Casas <edc@ece.ubc.ca>
Subject: Re: Lab 3

A student asked: > I am having a small problem with LAb 3. In the lab it states > that the clock divider should be implemented as a separate > entity and used as a component in the main timer description. > I don't understand how to go about this. Does the architecture > of the clock divider appear in a separate file which is then > included in the main program? Yes. See the description and example in Lecture 7, page 2 and the very top of page 3. > Whenever components were mentioned in our class notes, only the > port assignments were shown. I am not sure where the actual > architecture of the device appears or how it is used in the > main program. Look at the example again. It shows 3 files that are used as follows: mypackage.vhd - component declaration parity.vhd - component instantiation xor2.vhd - component entity/architecture -- Ed Casas edc@ece.ubc.ca http://casas.ece.ubc.ca +1 604 822-2592