Re: Symbol period of GSM

Ed Casas (edc@ece.ubc.ca) Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:16:46 -0700

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:16:46 -0700
From: Ed Casas <edc@ece.ubc.ca>
Subject: Re: Symbol period of GSM

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 02:36:56PM -0700, Yue Xu wrote: > To calculate the symbol period of GSM, the solution of 4.10 do as > follows > Ts=1/(0.3*RF Data Rate)=1/(0.3*270.833*1000) -- BT=0.3 I believe in this case the author of the solution is trying to compare the -3dB modulation filter bandwidth (B) to the reciprocal of the delay spread (something similar to comparing the coherence bandwidth to the signal bandwidth). I don't believe this is the correct way to determine the need for equalization. To motivate this reasoning, consider that the baseband filter could be removed completely (BT=infinity) without having any effect on the ISI introduced by the channel and thus having no bearing on the question of whether an equalizer is required or not. There are examples of systems where the symbol period is not related to the bandwidth. Examples are OFDM/DMT modulation (where the symbol period is much less than 1/bandwidth) and ``partial response'' systems (where the symbol period is much greater than 1/bandwidth). In all cases it is the symbol period, not the bandwidth that determines the need for equalization. > While in an example given by our text book ( Page 265, Example 5.15), > Ts=1/ Rb = 1/(270*1000) -- BT=0.25 > Can anybody tell me which one is correct? Thanks a lot. The symbol period is, by definition, the reciprocal of the symbol rate. -- Ed Casas edc@ece.ubc.ca http://casas.ece.ubc.ca +1 604 822-2592