previous exams, ADC vs DAC levels

Ed Casas (edc@ece.ubc.ca) Tue, 5 Dec 2000 18:13:20 -0800

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 18:13:20 -0800
From: Ed Casas <edc@ece.ubc.ca>
Subject: previous exams, ADC vs DAC levels

Hi Azuma Hashimoto, > I have a couple of questions. First of all is there any > possibility that solutions for old finals from APSC 380 will be > posted on the web? No. The solutions were never typed up. > I was wondering because I am working > through them and would like to double check my answers. There > is some stuff I can't find in the notes. Not all of the material in previous years was covered this year. > One example is question 5 part b from April 1998. I couldn't > find all the info in the notes to answer that one... No, we didn't cover as many types of A/D converters this time around. You can look at that year's lecture notes for more details if you're interested. > When using "and" and "or" gates to draw schematic diagrams can > we put more than two inputs to these? ... Yes, multi-input gates are fine. The internal circuitry in a PAL actually uses multiple-input AND and OR gates. > In the A/D and D/A notes there are two examples (49 and 51) > where you solved them differently. In one the resolution was > the delta V over (2^N-1) and the other it was over just 2^N. > I'm assuming that is because the minus 1 has a very small > effect on the final answer but I just wanted to make sure that > it doesn't have anything to do with the difference between ADC > and DAC. Since example 49 was a ADC and 51 a DAC. Yes, it does have to do with the difference between an ADC and a DAC. In both cases the number of levels is 2^N. For the DAC we are interested in the step size and that the range divided by one less than the number of output levels (2^N-1). For the ADC, we can actually divide up the input range into 2^N steps since we don't need to generate the maximum output level to decide where the input lies. Work it out for a small number (e.g. N=2) to see how this works. -- Ed Casas edc@ece.ubc.ca http://casas.ece.ubc.ca +1 604 822-2592