Re: Questions regarding PC CPU

yihung (yihung@home.com) Sat, 2 Dec 2000 20:20:16 -0800

From: "yihung" <yihung@home.com>
Subject: Re: Questions regarding PC CPU
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 20:20:16 -0800

Thanks for the answer. I was doing some researching and actually found the answer to my own questions.. hah 1) I mixed up some of the terms.. my question should be, what is a 'multiplier'. I know that the number of the multiplier of the cpu multipliers the FSB and gives the clock speed (6 X 100 = 600MHZ) How does the multiplier work physically is what I wanted to know. 2)Found some satisfying answer on the net. When the system is idle, it goes into a wait state, like you said. and the purpose is because different applications (memory, I/O..etc) runs at a different clock speed, the system has to go to a wait state so a slower app can catch up with the rest. 3) Thanks.