Re: Timing Requirements vs. Guranteed

Ed Casas (edc@ece.ubc.ca) Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:46:47 -0800

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:46:47 -0800
From: Ed Casas <edc@ece.ubc.ca>
Subject: Re: Timing Requirements vs. Guranteed

Hi, I'm not sure if this e-mail from Joe "Loser" Engineer is a joke, but... > What's the difference between timing requirements for > inputs/outputs and guranteed responses? This is explained in the lecture notes. If the specification is measured "to" (ends at) an edge on an output signal then it's a guaranteed response. If the specification is measured to an edge on an input then it's a requirement. You should also try to figure out what type of specification it is (propagation delay, setup time, hold time, ...) to get a better understanding of what's going on. > I can't figure out how to do the expressions for the assignment > as well because i cannot find guranteed responses to make my > timing requirement therefore I figured that I must have my > guranteed and requirements mixed up. You may have to use clock periods in addition to other guaranteed responses. In a (very) few cases it may not be possible to derive an expression because some guaranteed responses are not given. -- Ed Casas edc@ece.ubc.ca http://casas.ece.ubc.ca +1 604 822-2592