Assignment 2 - ROM

Marc Lee (marclwn@home.com) Thu, 2 Nov 2000 17:28:03 -0800

From: "Marc Lee" <marclwn@home.com>
Subject: Assignment 2 - ROM
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 17:28:03 -0800

Hi, all I understand that the example of the ROM given in the handout successfully loads the accumulator with -3, increments it to 0, and then goes to an infinite loop. But how does the computer know what to load (in this case, -3) if we don't tell it exactly what to do? Is there an input of this type to the computer? Also in this example, doesn't this piece of ROM only work for a certain task (in this case, load -3 and make it 0), but not others? So, are we going to design the ROM in such a way that this computer will perform at least one example of each of the 8 tasks? Can someone help me figuring that out please? Marc